Gluten Free Cakes & Bakes

Gluten Free Cakes & Bakes
A selection from our range

Monday 31 October 2011

Thinking about the photo shoot...

Glorious Gluten Free Foods is a troublesome, but very rewarding, child; I am making progress in launching this new business but get held up by everything else I have on the go. Things happen in fits and starts and I have to look back to remind myself how much I have actually done.
The big thing I need to organise now is a photoshoot for the website. I have spoken to a food photographer who lives locally and does a lot of work for top London restaurants. His questions have sent me back to do some more thinking - 'How many photos are you after?' and 'What style do you want?'. My journalist and copywriting daughter reminded me how to do a brief so he knew the key concepts of the business, and Karen, the web designer I am using, suggested I did a mood board to help identify a style. I have lots of accessories - plates, tea cups, cake stands, tablecloths - and will go through them to pick out the ones which best represent my concept for this business.
Karen also helpfully pointed out that I will be paying the photographer by the hour so the more work I can do beforehand to make the shoot go smoothly the better. She also suggested I did lots of baking, more than I think I'll need, as he will want to do different shots, cut cakes etc and it would be good to have spare.
Other photos I might want would be 'happy chickens' as I'm using free-range eggs, headshots of me for future publicity, and other food related items that add to my story.
So lots to think about and things to do - phone photographer and arrange a briefing meeting, book some time off work for the shoot and pre-shoot baking, develop a brief, develop and mood board and BAKE!
In the meantime I am continuing to develop my range of GF foods; I had a go at some gram flour flatbreads which worked really well, plain and some with turmeric and cumin seeds. I have borrowed a vacuum pack sealing machine so vacuum packed the flatbreads to see how that worked. They taste delicious fresh so I am hoping vacuum packing them keeps that fresh taste. I am currently awaiting feedback on those. I have also been making variations on Johnny Cake which is an American recipe for a cake/bread made with cornmeal; I'm making it with gram flour which works well sometimes, not so well other times. I need to do more to find a reliable recipe and method.
The business bank account has now come through and my first payment into that should be made this week. That is a good step forward.
So progress on some fronts but still lots to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment